From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] deprecating /etc/make.profile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:55:56
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:30:00 +0200
2 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > As per bug 148388 [1] comment 1, I'd like to discuss the deprecation
7 > of /etc/make.profile and the use of a PORTAGE_PROFILE variable
8 > instead. Reason for this change aside from consistency with all other
9 > portage settings is the annoyance of re-adjusting
10 > the /etc/make.profile link before and after testing a profile change
11 > in an overlay/development repo.
12 >
13 > Before the change to portage is finally made, a few things will have
14 > to be done:
15 >
16 > * Adjust handbook
17 > * Adjust the eselect plugin
18 > * (Anything I'm missing?)
19
20 More tools that require an update:
21 - euse and genpkgindex from gentoolkit
22 - ufed
23 - likely a bunch of other tools from app-portage (anything that doesn't
24 use portage.config)
25 - probably some other packages outside of app-portage (catalyst?)
26
27 And I assume there is a non-trivial number of custom scripts out there
28 using make.profile, but that's nothing we can do about.
29
30 Marius
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list