From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:35:25
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> said:
2 > > We don't avoid marking stable code
3 > > that, say, mallocs lots of space, then fills it with some calculated
4 > > numbers (for example, the first million prime numbers), even though a
5 > > better program would allow for that data to be shared.
6 >
7 > no one said that broken code with TEXTRELs cannot be marked stable
8 >
9 > they're something to be fixed down the road as time permits
10
11 This I completely agree with, but was not what was being pushed as policy for
12 the x86 arch team. If a package reintroduces textrels or such, I don't see
13 the problem with marking it stable personally. The issues listed don't seem
14 to warrant that.
17 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
18 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
19 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
20 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
21 http://www.halcy0n.com