From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:28:12
1 On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:07:53AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:22:36 +0000 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > | another good reason is that since the segment cannot be mapped
4 > | readonly, the memory cannot be shared across multiple processes ...
5 > | each will need to have its own copy, thus wasting what could be
6 > | significant memory resources.
7 >
8 > Again, that's a big "could be".
9
10 it's more often an "is be" considering the fact we're talking about
11 shared library code here.
12
13 > We don't avoid marking stable code
14 > that, say, mallocs lots of space, then fills it with some calculated
15 > numbers (for example, the first million prime numbers), even though a
16 > better program would allow for that data to be shared.
17
18 no one said that broken code with TEXTRELs cannot be marked stable
19
20 they're something to be fixed down the road as time permits
21
22 > Oh, and don't accept reasons like "but they don't work if we enable
23 > $obscure_voodoo in the compiler" either. If $obscure_voodoo breaks on
24 > legitimate TEXTRELs then $obscure_voodoo is broken, not the code using
25 > TEXTRELs.
26
27 majority of the time, if a build process is generating poor code with
28 textrels, it wont work on most architectures. x86 just tends to be
29 pretty lenient when it comes to poor code, so no one notices/cares.
30 -mike
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list