From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:33:04
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Custom repository is how I intended to implement this; the upshot of
3 > the version translation is that the resultant vdb version is managable
4 > by any PM, regardless if they support -live, which 'generated' the
5 > ebuild.
6 >
7 > Presuming svn python bindings aren't as sucky as I recall, tempted to
8 > take a thwack at it over the weekend.
9
10 Would be great =)
11
12 > One thing that would need ironing out for such a proposal is how to
13 > mark in the template metadata variation dependant upon vcs exceeding a
14 > certain level- example would be,
15
16 > < revno 300
17 > RDEPEND='=dev-lang/python-2.4*'
18 >
19 >> = revno 300
20 > RDEPEND='>=dev-lang/python-2.5'
21
22 That would be quite tricky and I'm not sure how many time it will be
23 useful since we don't know the future this well ^^;
24 I'd leave this part out for now.
25
26 > One other thing that needs discussion imo, is how such a scheme would
27 > work for non integer based revnos- git for example, which is reliant
28 > on a hash (just the hash, afaik).
29
30 The revision has to be stored inside the generated ebuild so all you
31 need to have is:
32
33 - a way to know the revision you are checking out
34 - a way to store such revision withing the ebuild
35
36 lu
40 Luca Barbato
41 Gentoo Council Member