From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:14:54
1 On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:43:39AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Anyway pkgcore and portage devs, I'd like your opinion on this point.
3
4 Custom repository is how I intended to implement this; the upshot of
5 the version translation is that the resultant vdb version is managable
6 by any PM, regardless if they support -live, which 'generated' the
7 ebuild.
8
9 Presuming svn python bindings aren't as sucky as I recall, tempted to
10 take a thwack at it over the weekend.
11
12 One thing that would need ironing out for such a proposal is how to
13 mark in the template metadata variation dependant upon vcs exceeding a
14 certain level- example would be,
15
16 < revno 300
17 RDEPEND='=dev-lang/python-2.4*'
18
19 >= revno 300
20 RDEPEND='>=dev-lang/python-2.5'
21
22 That... gets tricky. I can think of hacks for it, but none I like.
23 Alternatively, if there was a way to have seperate templates that are
24 selected dependant upon the desired rev, it becomes possible.
25
26 One other thing that needs discussion imo, is how such a scheme would
27 work for non integer based revnos- git for example, which is reliant
28 on a hash (just the hash, afaik).
29
30 Either way, I tend to view it as having a fair bit more control then
31 the -scm proposal, although needs fleshing out a bit.
32
33 ~harring