From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:43:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:40:28 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> * ordering for _pre is wrong.
5 >> hm?
6 >
7 > foo-0.26-live would become foo-0.26_pre1, which would be < 0.26. This
8 > is clearly wrong.
9
10 No, it is correct and what you want. Upstream is aiming for 0.26, once
11 0.26 gets in portage you want to update to the release.
12
13 >>> * How are you planning to handle reinstalls? Should installing world
14 >>> always reinstall live things? Never? Or what?
15 >> depends on the other ebuilds
16 >
17 > More specifically?
18
19 the live ebuild act as template for a autogenerated _pre, if there is
20 something higher than _pre that one will be picked.
21
22 >>> * How are live ebuilds selected by the package manager?
23 >> live ebuilds gets considered as preN+1 for any purpose.
24 >
25 > So you're saying they *always* get reinstalled as a new version if
26 > they're part of the dep tree?
27
28 only on -e since you do not have the live template evaluated again.
29
30 >>> * What's the filename for "live ebuild for SVN trunk/"? What about
31 >> foo-${version inside trunk}.live?
32 >
33 > And when trunk is unversioned?
34
35 Upstream has an issue, still you know which is the version they aim.
36
37 >>> "live ebuild for SVN branches/0.26/"?
38 >> foo-0.26.live?
39 >
40 > Orders incorrectly when 0.26.1 has been released.
41
42 no.
43
44 >> What is inside the template is just concern of the ebuild writer. I
45 >> suggest to use the same version as marked in the configure or other
46 >> version value the release will get once upstream decides to release.
47 >
48 > There's no way of getting the desired effect with current dep specs.
49
50 Your comment seems unrelated to the text.
51
52 Anyway pkgcore and portage devs, I'd like your opinion on this point.
53
54 lu
58 Luca Barbato
59 Gentoo Council Member