From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:57:11
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Mike Auty kirjoitti:
3 >> Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >>> Defining required amount of activity for ebuild devs. I would like us
5 >>> to raise the required amount of activity for ebuild devs.
6 >>
7 >> Given that the low number of developers is ranked as our number one
8 >> problem in Donnie's informal survey[1], taking any kind of action
9 >> against infrequently-committing developers is likely to reduce the
10 >> number of devs we have, and potentially make the problem worse.
13 I agree with the above point.
14 Also, as I recall, both Pettery (betelgeuse) and Denis (calchan) have
15 stated before that we no longer have any queue of people waiting on
16 recruiters to join Gentoo. I'm not seeing an avalanche of new blood
17 entering the distro, so I'm wondering where we want to go.
18 If we keep going the route of the last months, I wonder how long it will
19 take until we get under 150 devs. I don't think this will benefit
20 anyone. Furthermore, the trend in the last months was in large part the
21 result of finally retiring people that had been slacking for a long
22 time. This proposal could (would?) lead to sending away people that
23 still do work, albeit at a slower pace or on bursts.
24
25 >> What benefits are you aiming to get from the suggestion? I can think
26 >> og keeping the books tidy and reducing management time required to
27 >> maintain the devs. Are there others I've missed? If they're worth
28 >> the cost/effort involved with putting someone through the dev tests
29 >> and getting them trained, then it seems a good idea, but otherwise
30 >> probably not...
31 >>
32 >> Mike 5:)
33 >>
34 >> [1] http://dberkholz.wordpress.com/2008/02/21/redux-gentoos-top-3-issues/
35 >
36 > If you can't manage weekly commits, you can't respond to security issues
37 > either. This means that you should have devaway on.
40 As others have commented, I don't agree with this point. Also, you're
41 forgetting we have quite a few people working on this project and that
42 we have many different roles.
43 Although you're talking about ebuild devs only - so doc devs, infra and
44 forums staff are exempt from this rule - you're assuming (asking?) that
45 all people with access to gentoo-x86 are package maintainers and do a
46 few, regular commits to the tree. As others have said, that assumes
47 people keep more than a few ebuilds and that those packages require
48 constant attention.
49 Recalling previous discussions about work on gentoo and some of the
50 existing roles, what will you do to AT folks, release members or QA
51 members? Are they also obliged to do a weekly commit to keep their
52 "privileges"?
53 Finally, I thought the whole point of removing access to infra boxes
54 (which is the end result of retiring a dev), was a concern with security
55 and not a way to get rid of people - with the exception of
56 administrative action by devrel.
57
58 We've been having a few discussions about the future of Gentoo for some
59 time and people have shown different goals and views on its future and
60 on how to get there. One of the views seems to be that we need (only
61 need?) an "elite" of super-devs that do daily (hourly?) commits. I have
62 nothing against people that can give so much to this project, but I
63 don't think it's reasonable, desirable or healthy to expect everyone to
64 be able to that level of commitment. Also, wasn't this distro at one
65 point all about community? I don't think raising the commitement level
66 helps to involve people and as William (wltjr) pointed out shouldn't we
67 be more concerned with quality than with quantity?
68 I understand and agree that ebuild devs should keep a minimum level of
69 work to justify their access to the gentoo-x86 tree. I would also like
70 to have a few devs that can do major commits (although commit sprees can
71 have their own problems), but I think there's still a place in this
72 distro for people that want to maintain a few packages, that want to do
73 AT work, that care with the QA of the tree or that work on releases.
74 These people shouldn't be sent away, just because they can't keep with
75 weekly commits (not enough work or time?) or because they work in bursts.
76
77 As a final thought, I think this point is a tangent to the old debate
78 about tree-wide commit privileges and or the scm of the tree. Afterall,
79 if gentoo-x86 was a git tree and or we had acls in the tree, I don't
80 think we would be having or would need to have this argument.
81
82 > Regards,
83 > Petteri
87 Regards,
88
89 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
90 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / SPARC / KDE
91 --
92 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list