From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:35:08
1 I'm afraid I have to agree with Spider. As a user I really don't see what
2 good this will do for us. If I want to use a desktop I install it (I happen
3 to use xfce) and then I set it up they way I want with my icons, taskbars,
4 panels, whatever. Same if I decided to use KDE (which I do on another
5 machine). I decide what gets put on the desktop, panel, etc.
6
7 To me it is a total waste of effort/resources to develop a "Standard" desktop
8 because there is no such thing. Every company, every individual (including
9 individuals in a company) has a different idea of what the desktop should be.
10 Every place I've been the first thing a user does is change his desktop to
11 suit him - I do it to!
12
13 It also doesn't seem to fit the Gentoo philosopy - if I want xfce or KDE, or
14 Gnome I want it as it comes from them so I can make my changes - I don't want
15 some team's idea of what the ideal desktop should be!