From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:58:31
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:22:51 +0200
3 dams@×××.fr wrote:
6 > * What is desktop :
7 > desktop would be the project responsible of the desktop part of gentoo
8 > Linux, without making global decision, like : should we build a
9 > special product for desktop, should we have a modified install, should
10 > we restrict some possibility to default...
11
12 I'm quite against this turn of development as it will split our meager
13 develpomentteam even further and direct resources at maintaining two
14 trees in paralell. Even if one is just "desktop cludge" to make the
15 DesktopDistribution work, it would require Time and Development.
16
17 As a general thread, we could well develop a meta system to create one
18 (or more) generic desktop setup's (I guess we'd at least need two, one
19 for KDE and one for Gnome, or people would never shut up. )
22 Preparing a desktop distribution would require a lot of planning though,
23 and is something that should be -VERY- carefully planned and documented
24 before proceeding.
27 > * The tasks :
28 This is where it becomes interesting. Who will do such discussion?
29 The management team? The users? The Developers?
35 > That's why we might begin with a representation of what would the
36 >perfect desktop product be, and see if we have everything we need in
37 >gentoo.
40 Thats a slippery slope to follow since it very much depends on the
41 purpouse of the desktop (corporate desktops may well -not- include a
42 webbrowser)
45 //Spider
48 begin .signature
49 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
51 end