From: dams@g.o
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:03:02
1 Spider <spider@g.o> said:
2
3 > begin quote
4 > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:22:51 +0200
5 > dams@×××.fr wrote:
8 >> * What is desktop :
9 >> desktop would be the project responsible of the desktop part of gentoo
10 >> Linux, without making global decision, like : should we build a
11 >> special product for desktop, should we have a modified install, should
12 >> we restrict some possibility to default...
13 >
14 > I'm quite against this turn of development as it will split our meager
15 > develpomentteam even further and direct resources at maintaining two
16 > trees in paralell. Even if one is just "desktop cludge" to make the
17 > DesktopDistribution work, it would require Time and Development.
18
19 Maybe I badly expressed myself, I meant that desktop won't build a
20 special product for desktop, won't ask if we should have a modified install, or
21 if we restrict some possibility to default...
24 > As a general thread, we could well develop a meta system to create one
25 > (or more) generic desktop setup's (I guess we'd at least need two, one
26 > for KDE and one for Gnome, or people would never shut up. )
29 > Preparing a desktop distribution would require a lot of planning though,
30 > and is something that should be -VERY- carefully planned and documented
31 > before proceeding.
32
33 I don't want dektop to handle a complete desktop distribution, it's out of
34 scope. Desktop should focus on each desktop component, see how we should
35 configure it, make it evolve.
36
37 The first question is : do we want to have a vanilla desktop environement, or a
38 gentoo touch in them ?
39
40 If we want vanilla DE, then nothing need to be done :) Only maintain the
41 stuffs, but no config, no tuning...
45 >> * The tasks :
46 > This is where it becomes interesting. Who will do such discussion?
47 > The management team? The users? The Developers?
48
49 desktop guidelines are initiated by management team, discussed and finalized by
50 desktop devs, and approved by upper management structure.
51
52 things are maintained by desktop devs conforming to the desktop guidelines.
59 >> That's why we might begin with a representation of what would the
60 >>perfect desktop product be, and see if we have everything we need in
61 >>gentoo.
64 > Thats a slippery slope to follow since it very much depends on the
65 > purpouse of the desktop (corporate desktops may well -not- include a
66 > webbrowser)
67
68 I see everything as optional, because you are not obliged to install a web
69 browser. But if we think this or this web browser is attractive for a desktop
70 use, we might want to include it.
73 dams
76 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list