From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:25:55
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Thursday 28 August 2003 10:08, dams@g.o wrote:
5 > Spider <spider@g.o> said:
6 > > begin quote
7 > > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:22:51 +0200
8 > >
9 > > dams@×××.fr wrote:
10 > >> * What is desktop :
11 > >> desktop would be the project responsible of the desktop part of gentoo
12 > >> Linux, without making global decision, like : should we build a
13 > >> special product for desktop, should we have a modified install, should
14 > >> we restrict some possibility to default...
15 > >
16 > > I'm quite against this turn of development as it will split our meager
17 > > develpomentteam even further and direct resources at maintaining two
18 > > trees in paralell. Even if one is just "desktop cludge" to make the
19 > > DesktopDistribution work, it would require Time and Development.
20 >
21 > Maybe I badly expressed myself, I meant that desktop won't build a
22 > special product for desktop, won't ask if we should have a modified
23 > install, or if we restrict some possibility to default...
26 Let me say this about what I view as the responsibilities of -desktop. It has
27 two main responsibilities, the first one is to manage all current desktop
28 packages (delegated to the appropriate subprojects).
29
30 The second one is to research (yes research) how the gentoo desktop experience
31 can be improved. That includes things like the menusystem. Some sensible
32 session system (resp. for starting a windowmanager, which is currently quite
33 nonstandard and depending on the display manager (not windowmanager)) and I'm
34 sure there will be enough other things.
35
36 That research leads sometimes to proposed changes. Each of these changes will
37 be judged according to a.o. how easy it is to implement them, how standard
38 they are, whether they conform to the gentoo way, etc.
39
40 The general idea being that if it is possible everything should just work
41 after the emerge command has been completed. This also might involve changing
42 default configuration files to work with the way things are installed in
43 gentoo (like specifying the correct location of programs). This does however
44 not mean that just anything can be changed in the default configurations.
45 Look and feel should be as standard as possible. (for example k3b should just
46 work out of the box and know allready where cdrecord is installed, etc.)
47
48 Paul
49
50 - --