From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:50:43
1 On Wednesday 17 November 2004 18:02, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-17-11 at 14:39 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I want to know what portage is going to be doing before it
4 > > does it.
5 >
6 > Right (I don't think that anyone disagrees with you here). The thing
7 > [that this thread is] trying to figure out, though, is this:
8 >
9 > I need to be able to express, in the dependencies of an ebuild, that I
10 > require gcc to have been compiled with a certain USE flag, a capability
11 > that portage doesn't [yet] provide.
12 >
13 > The consensus of the best thing to do as an immediate work around is to
14 > write some code early on in your ebuild which evaluates whether or not
15 > the dependency was actually built under the needed USE conditions, and
16 > to fail with a message informing what the user must do about it if they
17 > choose to proceed.
18 >
19 > The problem with that of course is that you may well end up building a
20 > huge number of dependencies before you get to your ebuild which will
21 > then have to fail out to the user saying "sorry, you need to go and
22 > rebuild gcc with this USE flag set".
23
24 I understand this issue, and think useflag deps should be added fast as
25 they are needed. In the meantime it might be easier to introduce some
26 kind of function (like pkg_prebuild) that can perform checks before the
27 actual merging of dependencies, but after the building of the dependency
28 tree.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze