From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:17:49
1 On Wed, 2004-17-11 at 14:39 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > I want to know what portage is going to be doing before it
3 > does it.
4
5 Right (I don't think that anyone disagrees with you here). The thing
6 [that this thread is] trying to figure out, though, is this:
7
8 I need to be able to express, in the dependencies of an ebuild, that I
9 require gcc to have been compiled with a certain USE flag, a capability
10 that portage doesn't [yet] provide.
11
12 The consensus of the best thing to do as an immediate work around is to
13 write some code early on in your ebuild which evaluates whether or not
14 the dependency was actually built under the needed USE conditions, and
15 to fail with a message informing what the user must do about it if they
16 choose to proceed.
17
18 The problem with that of course is that you may well end up building a
19 huge number of dependencies before you get to your ebuild which will
20 then have to fail out to the user saying "sorry, you need to go and
21 rebuild gcc with this USE flag set".
22
23 So that's where we're at.
24
25 AfC
26 Atlanta
29 Andrew Frederick Cowie
30 Principal
31 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
32
33 Helping you succeed at flawlessly executing Massive
34 Changes and Upgrades to your Mission Critical Systems
35 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/services/procedures/
36
37 Sydney New York Toronto London