From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:33:21
1 On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:15:14PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2 > Because that is not a valid bug report. Patches must be attached to
3 > bugzilla.
4
5 Right, thanks. In that case, I think you'll need a hook to push a new
6 patch whenever the GitHub branch is updated, rebased, etc. That could
7 make for a lot of Bugzilla spam, because folks tend to cycle less
8 formally in GitHub branches than they do with list-based (and similar)
9 workflows. For example, if I submit a patch series to a mailing list,
10 I'll wait a week before pushing v2 with a bunch of typo fixes, etc.
11 But if I submit a patch series via a GitHub PR, I'll push fixes for
12 those sort of things immediately. I'm skeptical that you'll be able
13 to retrain frequent GitHub users to pace their pushes, so hopefully
14 this has a technical solution. Maybe iterate over open PRs every week
15 and push changed patches to Bugzilla? That avoids too much spam, but
16 it means that comments via GitHub and Bugzilla may be talking about
17 different versions of the branch (which seems like it would cause
18 trouble ;).
19
20 Cheers,
21 Trevor