From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: package.mask or package.mask.d
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:05:14
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > While I like your example, if this were to happen and a couple other
4 > things has been updated, like for example expat a while back and other
5 > similar update nightmares, wouldn't a reinstall be easier and most
6 > likely recommended anyway? I have seen this recommended and even made
7 > that recommendation on -user a few times. I would also do a reinstall
8 > on my own system if I had been gone for 6 months or more. With the
9 > updates coming pretty fast for most things, you would most likely
10 > recompile most everything on the system anyway. Save the configs and
11 > the world file and just start over from a very fresh stage tarball.
12 >
13 > It is good to look out for those braves souls that would try to update
14 > anyway but thought it worth a mention. Would upgrading be recommended?
15 >
16 > < back to my hole >
17 >
18 > Dale
19 >
23 Guys, if your Gentoo install is 6 months old, you're screwed anyway.
24 This should really be a non-issue. I just spent 2 days dealing with
25 being 3.5 weeks out of date. Might have been quicker to re-install.
26 Ooh well.
27
28 Andrew