From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: package.mask or package.mask.d
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 07:01:40
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > William Hubbs posted on Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:52:54 -0500 as excerpted:
5 >> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 08:39:47PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> We also need to consider whether people even want it done exactly the
8 >>> way Portage does it now. Some developers have expressed a preference
9 >>> for a package.mask.d of some kind instead.
10 >>>
11 >> I saw that, and I'm not sure why they suggested changing the directory
12 >> from package.mask to package.mask.d, since all you would need to do is
13 >> rename the file package.mask to something like package.mask/oldmasks and
14 >> the masks in it would be preserved until you put them in different files
15 >> in the package.mask directory and removed them from oldmasks, ultimately
16 >> deleting oldmasks.
19 > The (one) idea is to keep package.mask as a file for old package managers
20 > that don't know about package.* as a directory yet. Moving package.mask
21 > (the file) to package.mask/oldmasks wouldn't accomplish that. The
22 > scenario people are worried about, is where (for example) someone has
23 > gone away for their year's service (or two, or whatever) that some
24 > nations have, and comes back and tries to upgrade, only to find the tree
25 > is so changed that as soon as they sync, their old package manager is
26 > broken, to the point they can't use use it to upgrade to a new version,
27 > in ordered to be able to upgrade everything else!
28 >
29 > Actually splitting the current single file into multiple files isn't
30 > really a problem, and would probably be done at the same time package.mask
31 > (.d) is made a directory, all in the same commit, so it's nothing to
32 > worry about.
33 >
34 > That said, in this particular instance, I don't believe that should be a
35 > big problem. Why? Because portage has supported it for years already,
36 > and anyone using a PM that doesn't currently support it has by definition
37 > already demonstrated they are reasonably active about their Gentoo based
38 > system management choices, and thus isn't likely to let a system go
39 > unsynced and the PM unupdated for greater than say 90 days anyway. Thus,
40 > when the policy is approved by council, stick a 90-180 day hold on
41 > changing old profiles in the tree, and be done with it.
42 >
43 > So ancient PMs shouldn't be a problem either way, here. Which leaves
44 > only a simple bikeshedding issue, whether people prefer keeping the names
45 > we have, or switching to the *.d forms in keeping with the pattern used
46 > for all those /etc/*.d directories, of which a quick ls here demonstrated
47 > there's about double the number I expected, having never actually counted
48 > them before. While I'd vote for sticking with what we have, that /is/
49 > just bikeshedding, and I REALLY want to just get on with it, regardless
50 > of what it's named, as the feature really is quite useful.
54 While I like your example, if this were to happen and a couple other
55 things has been updated, like for example expat a while back and other
56 similar update nightmares, wouldn't a reinstall be easier and most
57 likely recommended anyway? I have seen this recommended and even made
58 that recommendation on -user a few times. I would also do a reinstall
59 on my own system if I had been gone for 6 months or more. With the
60 updates coming pretty fast for most things, you would most likely
61 recompile most everything on the system anyway. Save the configs and
62 the world file and just start over from a very fresh stage tarball.
63
64 It is good to look out for those braves souls that would try to update
65 anyway but thought it worth a mention. Would upgrading be recommended?
66
67 < back to my hole >
68
69 Dale