From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: package.mask or package.mask.d
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 06:33:28
1 William Hubbs posted on Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:52:54 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 08:39:47PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> We also need to consider whether people even want it done exactly the
5 >> way Portage does it now. Some developers have expressed a preference
6 >> for a package.mask.d of some kind instead.
7 >
8 > I saw that, and I'm not sure why they suggested changing the directory
9 > from package.mask to package.mask.d, since all you would need to do is
10 > rename the file package.mask to something like package.mask/oldmasks and
11 > the masks in it would be preserved until you put them in different files
12 > in the package.mask directory and removed them from oldmasks, ultimately
13 > deleting oldmasks.
14
15 The (one) idea is to keep package.mask as a file for old package managers
16 that don't know about package.* as a directory yet. Moving package.mask
17 (the file) to package.mask/oldmasks wouldn't accomplish that. The
18 scenario people are worried about, is where (for example) someone has
19 gone away for their year's service (or two, or whatever) that some
20 nations have, and comes back and tries to upgrade, only to find the tree
21 is so changed that as soon as they sync, their old package manager is
22 broken, to the point they can't use use it to upgrade to a new version,
23 in ordered to be able to upgrade everything else!
24
25 Actually splitting the current single file into multiple files isn't
26 really a problem, and would probably be done at the same time package.mask
27 (.d) is made a directory, all in the same commit, so it's nothing to
28 worry about.
29
30 That said, in this particular instance, I don't believe that should be a
31 big problem. Why? Because portage has supported it for years already,
32 and anyone using a PM that doesn't currently support it has by definition
33 already demonstrated they are reasonably active about their Gentoo based
34 system management choices, and thus isn't likely to let a system go
35 unsynced and the PM unupdated for greater than say 90 days anyway. Thus,
36 when the policy is approved by council, stick a 90-180 day hold on
37 changing old profiles in the tree, and be done with it.
38
39 So ancient PMs shouldn't be a problem either way, here. Which leaves
40 only a simple bikeshedding issue, whether people prefer keeping the names
41 we have, or switching to the *.d forms in keeping with the pattern used
42 for all those /etc/*.d directories, of which a quick ls here demonstrated
43 there's about double the number I expected, having never actually counted
44 them before. While I'd vote for sticking with what we have, that /is/
45 just bikeshedding, and I REALLY want to just get on with it, regardless
46 of what it's named, as the feature really is quite useful.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman