From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: Cedric Veilleux <cedric@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bin packages
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 17:19:54
1 My beef with binary packages has always been with statically linked
2 apps.
3
4 Say there is a vulnerability in zlib. Some very notable pieces of
5 software statically linked to it and were vulnerable. If you merely
6 install the zlib binary, you secure your dynamically linked stuff, but
7 not stically linked stuff.
8
9 With a source based distro, it is easy to "emerge system; emerge world"
10 (yes, recompile the lot). If you use packages that aren't freshened (ie,
11 you are made to bring the source down for things you previously got
12 binary), you are still possibly using vulnerable code. Maybe not, but to
13 be sure you either audit your install, or you recompile the lot.
14
15 This is the done thing in OpenBSD for security reasons. Anytime a
16 security advisory is applied to the base system libraries, everyone does
17 a "build world".
18
19 Possibly, every time a library is known to be vulnerable (especially
20 core ones), one's package repository could be rebuilt and then "-r" tags
21 bumped up one. But warning the user of updated binary packages isn't
22 built into portage yet.
23
24 I think if Gentoo gets big enough, binary packages will become a big
25 part of it for dialup (where downloads are longer than compiles - like
26 me) but the inbuilt logic of source recompile will hopefully never be
27 lost. In otherwords, Gentoo users should always be prepared to
28 recompile (unless they don't care - which isn't the attitude to breed)
29
30 Evan.
31