From: Cedric Veilleux <cedric@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bin packages
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:49:31
1 I do agree with you, there are important security issues with pre-compiled
2 packages.
3
4 Although gentoo would not be the first distro / OS to provide binary packages.
5 Does this mean that all others are insecure? Certainly not. Packages would
6 simply have to come from a trusted source.
7
8 Pre-compiled is certainly not for every users. I do prefer to compile my own
9 packages most of the time. Although, some times I think it would be nice to
10 have some kind of repository of pre-compiled packages where I could check if
11 a particuliar package is available for my architecture and save hours of
12 compile time.
15 Thank you,
16
17 Cedric