From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 36: providing both CVS and Subversion?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:44:10
1 On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:23:29 +0200 Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Monday 11 April 2005 8:26 am, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:57:12 +0200 Christian Parpart
5 | > <trapni@g.o>
6 | > wrote:
7 | > | > SVN uses transactions and
8 | > | > changesets. These make a heck of a lot more sense if they're
9 | > | > done on a per project basis.
10 | > |
11 | > | reason?
12 | >
13 | > Because you can pull out a meaningful and relevant changeset without
14 | > having to arse around with path prefixes.
15 |
16 | Do you have to? If so, why?
17
18 Well, surprisingly enough, one of the main reasons we use these version
19 control things is so that we can see *what changed*. It's a hell of a
20 lot easier to do this when you can just say "show me everything that
21 changed in the foo project between three days ago and today" rather than
22 having to worry about adding in extra selections to pick a project path.
23
24 | > | > Unlike with CVS, this makes a big difference -- SVN
25 | > | > revision IDs are actually meaningful,
26 | > |
27 | > | SVN repository IDs represent the state of the whole repository at
28 | > | a given time, nothing more or less.
29 | >
30 | > Not repo IDs. Revision IDs.
31 |
32 | That's the one I meant. yeah.
33
34 And, said revision IDs are useful for keeping track of what's changed.
35 Or, at least, they are if you know that an update of 3 in the revision
36 number is equivalent to three changesets, which you don't if you use
37 multiple projects per repo.
38
39 | > | Hmm... besides, the ASF is just having a single repository for all
40 | > | their public projects (with about 1000+ contributors) w/o any
41 | > | problems.
42 | >
43 | > So we should make the same mistakes as them? Sure, a single repo
44 | > would be usable, but multiple repos would be a heck of a lot better.
45 |
46 | Seriousely, this is plain low FUD unless you can give me a decent
47 | argument on why the ASF made a mistake here.
48
49 One big repository is harder to work with. It's that simple.
52 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
53 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
54 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm