From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 36: providing both CVS and Subversion?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:50:33
1 On Monday 11 April 2005 22:42, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Well, surprisingly enough, one of the main reasons we use these version
3 > control things is so that we can see *what changed*. It's a hell of a
4 > lot easier to do this when you can just say "show me everything that
5 > changed in the foo project between three days ago and today" rather than
6 > having to worry about adding in extra selections to pick a project path.
7
8 You need to do this anyway. Whether it's a path inside the repository or on
9 the webserver doesn't matter. It's like https://svn.gentoo.org/gentoo/projA
10 where /gentoo is the name of the repos or https://svn.gentoo.org/gentoo/projA
11 where /gentoo is a superdirectory of all project repositories that are now
12 housed in the gentoo cvs repository. In either case /gentoo could be removed.
13
14 > One big repository is harder to work with. It's that simple.
15
16 With one exception, that is, sharing and merging within a repository is a lot
17 easier than between two separate repositories.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze
23 Gentoo Developer