From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:12:04
1 On 23/03/06, Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > > > The vision I have for overlays.g.o is one official home for all Gentoo
3 > > > overlays run by projects and by individual Gentoo devs. I see the
4 > > Also for Arch/Herd Testers?
5
6 The discussion seems to have moved from the original "how can we
7 become more open to enable our users to contribute?" to "how to
8 provide testing overlays for existing gentoo devs". I think that the
9 use of overlays is more a symptom of a problem with portage. Overlay
10 problems:
11
12 They remove ebuilds from the tree
13 Users have to add yet another overlay / retrieve the ebuilds somehow
14 Conflicts between overlays
15 Increases time to moving packages into the tree
16 Overlay becomes a developers "personal space" making it difficult to
17 contribute if package is neglected (though that is also a problem
18 now...)
19 Lose repository metadata moving a package from overlay to tree
20 Reduced responsibility for package QA (I expect "we don't care about
21 overlays" to become a standard response on bugs.g.o)
22
23 And what do we gain:
24
25 Eases testing - can push in alpha quality ebuilds
26 Developers feel safer because they can't break the tree
27
28 Surely the solution is to provide that safety net within the tree?
29 Rather than pushing changes into a live tree, push them into a testing
30 tree, then after they pass repoman/QA checks, and a build check, apply
31 the changes to the live tree, otherwise email a rejection. And allow
32 developers to add their own testing ebuilds to the tree (for a start,
33 they will be more widely tested).
34
35 The current system of overlay usage is very annoying for users,
36 particularly when bugs are hanging around with packages in the tree,
37 and after filing bug reports the user is told that the bug is already
38 fixed in the overlay. Or when new packages are added to overlays
39 instead of the tree. How are users expected to find them?
40
41 Another thing that needs fixing is the massive number of packages that
42 aren't really maintained. Either the maintainer doesn't respond to
43 bugs, or the package is maintained by a herd and so no one feels it's
44 actually their responsibility to deal with the boring bugs, and when
45 some developer outside of the herd comes across it, they feel like
46 they can't fix the bug without stepping on someone's toes. What's
47 worse is that in a lot of these cases there will be a user on bugs.g.o
48 posting fixes and new ebuilds, and yet they never make it into the
49 tree.
50
51 A system where developer ebuilds are kept in the tree, and users have
52 a way to automatically contribute ebuilds, either human reviewed, or
53 in some reputation based system, would be very useful. Users also need
54 feedback - how many times does a user submit an ebuild via bugzilla to
55 be told that it doesn't meet QA standards? Why isn't there a system in
56 place to run repoman/QA/build checks on user ebuilds/patches to make
57 sure they are fixed *before* being submitted for inclusion into the
58 tree? And if this could be linked to a bug reporting system where
59 people report/fix individual ebuilds or packages, and I can just type
60 'gbugs -l pkgname' and get a list of problems and fixes that other
61 people have proposed, even better.
62
63 I'm not sure whether the answer is more openness of the existing
64 system, some custom submission flow system, or a distributed SCM, but
65 I do think there's a lot that could be changed to make things better.
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list