From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:59:11
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 On 3/23/06, Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > I think that the
5 > use of overlays is more a symptom of a problem with portage. Overlay
6 > problems:
7
8 [snip]
9
10 Developers are already using overlays, and some teams (including ones
11 I've been involved in) are actively and successfully using them to
12 help with recruitment and to provide a way to access ebuilds that
13 would otherwise still be rotting in Bugzilla.
14
15 I'm not saying overlays are for everyone. It's one approach that some
16 groups like. You don't have to use an overlay yourself for your work
17 if it's an approach that doesn't work for you. Overlays are not about
18 to become a mandatory way of working around here.
19
20 > Surely the solution is to provide that safety net within the tree?
21
22 I cannot imagine a day when non-devs are given commit access to the
23 Portage tree. As long as that limitation remains in place, if we're
24 going to reach out beyond our developer community, we have to reach
25 out beyond the Portage tree too.
26
27 > The current system of overlay usage is very annoying for users,
28 > particularly when bugs are hanging around with packages in the tree,
29 > and after filing bug reports the user is told that the bug is already
30 > fixed in the overlay. Or when new packages are added to overlays
31 > instead of the tree. How are users expected to find them?
32
33 Users have pre-conceived ideas about the contents of the Portage tree.
34 I've seen first-hand how badly users react when a hard-masked package
35 in the tree is withdrawn because it was an experimental approach that
36 ultimately failed. Users have unrealistic expectations about the
37 tree.
38
39 If developers are telling users in Bugzilla that bugs are fixed in the
40 overlay, it's the responsibility of the developers to tell the users
41 where to go to get those fixes. I'd have thought that was basic
42 common sense. Establishing overlays.g.o as the usual place to go will
43 help with this, as will promoting very helpful tools such as layman.
44
45 > Another thing that needs fixing is the massive number of packages that
46 > aren't really maintained.
47
48 That's a very valid concern. Overlays can help here, as explained by
49 the Haskell team, because they make it possible for more people to
50 contribute. They're more than a technical solution ... they're a
51 social tool to build a more sustainable team around.
52
53 > What's
54 > worse is that in a lot of these cases there will be a user on bugs.g.o
55 > posting fixes and new ebuilds, and yet they never make it into the
56 > tree.
57
58 I'm finding that overlays address this specific scenario very
59 successfully. I talk to those users and find out if they're willing
60 to contribute to an overlay. More often than not, I find that the
61 fixes and new ebuilds are coming from a personal overlay that the user
62 is maintaining anyway. Being able to commit directly to a shared
63 overlay means that they can get more involved ... and it gives me a
64 good level of interaction to help decide whether the person is worth
65 recruiting as a full-blown dev or not.
66
67 > A system where developer ebuilds are kept in the tree, and users have
68 > a way to automatically contribute ebuilds, either human reviewed, or
69 > in some reputation based system, would be very useful.
70
71 The overlays project doesn't prevent this system being developed or
72 introduced at all. We're not looking to corner the market at all.
73 We're only providing a resource which will be useful to some teams and
74 developers.
75
76 > Users also need feedback
77
78 [snip] You have good ideas. What are you doing to make them happen?
79
80 > I'm not sure whether the answer is more openness of the existing
81 > system, some custom submission flow system, or a distributed SCM, but
82 > I do think there's a lot that could be changed to make things better.
83
84 I don't think that there is any one approach that will work for all
85 devs, all non-devs, all the time. What I'm doing here is resourcing
86 one specific approach, and working with Infra and User Relations to
87 deliver something that provides one bridge between the developer and
88 non-dev community. We will need other bridges to be built too.
89
90 Best regards,
91 Stu
94 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list