From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:50:31
1 On 23/03/06, Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Developers are already using overlays, and some teams (including ones
3 > I've been involved in) are actively and successfully using them to
4 > help with recruitment and to provide a way to access ebuilds that
5 > would otherwise still be rotting in Bugzilla.
6
7 Developers are using overlays, however, the majority of users aren't.
8 If the usage of overlays is to increase, then remote overlay support
9 should be added to emerge. Additionally, in order for users to be able
10 to contribute to the overlays, it would help if they had anonymous
11 read access.
12
13 > > Surely the solution is to provide that safety net within the tree?
14 >
15 > I cannot imagine a day when non-devs are given commit access to the
16 > Portage tree. As long as that limitation remains in place, if we're
17 > going to reach out beyond our developer community, we have to reach
18 > out beyond the Portage tree too.
19
20 The safety net was intended for developers. Packages often get broken
21 in unexpected ways - something depends on it, a patch is conditional
22 on some USE flag or arch etc. It would be useful to get an email 5
23 minutes after a commit saying "you broke something", rather than a bug
24 report being filed a week later.
25
26 > > The current system of overlay usage is very annoying for users,
27 > > particularly when bugs are hanging around with packages in the tree,
28 > > and after filing bug reports the user is told that the bug is already
29 > > fixed in the overlay. Or when new packages are added to overlays
30 > > instead of the tree. How are users expected to find them?
31 >
32 > Users have pre-conceived ideas about the contents of the Portage tree.
33 > I've seen first-hand how badly users react when a hard-masked package
34 > in the tree is withdrawn because it was an experimental approach that
35 > ultimately failed. Users have unrealistic expectations about the
36 > tree.
37
38 I don't think it is unrealistic to expect that if a user puts a lot of
39 work into an ebuild, and it works, then it should somehow end up in
40 the tree. Unfortunately the options at the moment are to either reject
41 the ebuild, leave it to rot in bugzilla, or recruit the user as a
42 developer. Rejecting isn't very nice, the amount of effort and
43 barriers to become a dev are too great, so we end up with good ebuilds
44 not being added. Adding the ebuilds to overlays is one option, but
45 then other users will be expected to find an overlay with their
46 package in, and then add it to make.conf. As the number of overlays
47 increases, the amount of effort in synchronising dependencies and
48 dealing with other problems between them will increase.
49
50 Maybe in the real world managing the relationships between overlays
51 won't be as big a problem as it appears it could be.
52
53 > [snip] You have good ideas. What are you doing to make them happen?
54
55 Not much - time is a great constraint, and writing emails takes much
56 less time than writing code...
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list