From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The (lack of) use of herds
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 04:22:02
1 On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:00:04 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:43, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Well, I'd go further and question the whole herd concept. What
6 > > benefits do we actually gain by having "herds"? For the most part
7 > > it's just a way to associate a package with a mail alias, but for
8 > > that I don't really see the need for this layer of indirection. It
9 > > actually creates problems by itself as the herd data ("members" in
10 > > herds.xml) gets out of sync with the mail data (alias members),
11 > > then there is the (mostly historical) issue of having two copies of
12 > > the same file getting out of sync, the permanent confusion of
13 > > herds, herd maintainers and projects, and the problem just shown by
14 > > Alec. So are there any other benefits in having herds as opposed to
15 > > just adding a
17 > > element to metadata.xml and getting rid of the complete herds
18 > > concept?
19 >
20 > just because you're on the alias doesnt mean you want to be
21 > responsible for the packages in the herd
22
23 So if now you're on a herd alias but not listed in herds.xml for a herd,
24 what practical difference does it make if the herd exists or not?
25
26 Marius
31 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
32 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list