From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The (lack of) use of herds
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 03:02:01
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 22:43, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Well, I'd go further and question the whole herd concept. What benefits
3 > do we actually gain by having "herds"? For the most part it's just a
4 > way to associate a package with a mail alias, but for that I don't
5 > really see the need for this layer of indirection. It actually creates
6 > problems by itself as the herd data ("members" in herds.xml) gets out
7 > of sync with the mail data (alias members), then there is the (mostly
8 > historical) issue of having two copies of the same file getting out of
9 > sync, the permanent confusion of herds, herd maintainers and projects,
10 > and the problem just shown by Alec.
11 > So are there any other benefits in having herds as opposed to just
13 > element to metadata.xml and getting rid of the complete herds concept?
14
15 just because you're on the alias doesnt mean you want to be responsible for
16 the packages in the herd
17 -mike