From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The (lack of) use of herds
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:41:42
1 On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:46:30 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I request that this tag be made optional in the metadata.xml DTD.
5 >
6 > While ideally it is beneficial to have every package in a herd, in
7 > practice this doesn't occur.
8 >
9 > 22:28 <@omp> $ herdstat -pq no-herd | wc -l
10 > 22:28 <@omp> 1819
11 > 22:28 <@omp> looks like a lot of fixing is needed :)
12 >
13 > nearly 1/5 of our tree is herdless.
14 >
15 > Is a "real herd" a real requirement of a package? I would say
16 > realistically no. Thus the herd tag should be optional but highly
17 > encouraged.
18
19 Well, I'd go further and question the whole herd concept. What benefits
20 do we actually gain by having "herds"? For the most part it's just a
21 way to associate a package with a mail alias, but for that I don't
22 really see the need for this layer of indirection. It actually creates
23 problems by itself as the herd data ("members" in herds.xml) gets out
24 of sync with the mail data (alias members), then there is the (mostly
25 historical) issue of having two copies of the same file getting out of
26 sync, the permanent confusion of herds, herd maintainers and projects,
27 and the problem just shown by Alec.
28 So are there any other benefits in having herds as opposed to just
30 element to metadata.xml and getting rid of the complete herds concept?
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list