From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:17:02
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:13:34 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > So you're volunteering to convert the entire tree to the new EAPI
5 > > all in one go every two months?
6 >
7 > I don't see the need and I won't see the problem given right now what
8 > is interesting is the set of improvements that aren't forward
9 > incompatible.
10
11 It's likely that any future EAPIs won't be forward compatible because:
12
13 * There's a strong desire to make lots of functions stricter.
14 * The current *DEPEND syntax will probably be replaced with something
15 more expressive.
16 * There'll be more phases.
17
18 So yes, it's a full tree rewrite if you want to avoid having multiple
19 EAPIs in the same tree.
22 Ciaran McCreesh