From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 15:55:55
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 080907 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 >
4 >> ignoring FHS ... are not valid solutions to this problem.
7 > Why ? Who is demanding FHS compliance & for what reasons ?
8 > Gentoo is not like other distros & sometimes needs to find its own way.
9 > Given the well-known problems with KDE 4.0 & (still) 4.1 ,
10 > I'ld like to be able to have the option of multiple versions available.
11 >
12 > I really do appreciate the hard volunteer work the KDE team donates
13 > & have nothing but thanks to them all, but shouldn't your priority be
14 > to get KDE 4.1 into 'testing', so that users can actually try it out ?
15 > There's also 3.5.10 , which has been released, but isn't in Gentoo yet.
19 As a lowly user, I would like to keep KDE 3.5.* for quite a while and
20 will most likely not switch until at least 4.3 or better is out. Even
21 that mostly depends on how many "issues" are still left out there.
22
23 I realize that I'm not behind the scenes doing the work to keep both
24 maintained but they are going to both be maintained anyway and leaving
25 it like it is has worked fine so far. Unless there is some requirement
26 upstream, I would prefer it be like it is so that we can still choose.
27 I will most likely maintain both KDE 3 and KDE 4 until things get sorted
28 out and I make sure everything works.
29
30 Nothing worse than upgrading, realizing that the new version isn't ready
31 for my needs yet and having to recompile KDE all over again. Having
32 both would be really nice.
33
34 My $0.02 worth.
35