From: Stephen Clowater <steve@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Grsecurity Poll
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:19:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On August 7, 2003 10:38 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:02, Michael Cummings wrote:
6 > > Perhaps a silly question, but why are patches rolled as their own kernels
7 > > at all? Seems to my little brain (yes, it's real small when it comes to
8 > > these matters) that it would almost make more sense to offer the vanilla
9 > > kernel as is, then have each of these (currently their own ebuilds)
10 > > patches as add on ebuilds, such as emerge vanillia-kernel, emerge
11 > > grsecurity-patch, emerge nvidia-patch, etc. After all, it's not like the
12 > > ebuild for the kernel compiles it in the first place, and as far as I
13 > > know these patches add/replace to the existing structure, right? Just a
14 > > random thought, feel free to ignore :)
15 >
16 > The only problem with that is that in the case of the gentoo-sources,
17 > there are hundreds of patches applied, which have to be tested and
18 > modified to allow them all to work together. It would be nearly
19 > impossible to ensure that a grsecurity-patch would interact well with
20 > both a nvidia-patch and crypto-patch. This is the reason for the
21 > different sources, they are groups of patches that have been tested to
22 > work together and apply cleanly to each other. It would be possible to
23 > do things as a vanilla kernel sources and a bunch of patch ebuilds if we
24 > had about 500 more devs on the kernel team. ;p
25
26 I have to agree here. Before using gentoo I use to maintain a almost identical
27 kernel for production enviornments as gentoo-sources. It takes literally
28 months to apply all the patches and make sure that none are broken. And often
29 some of the patches arnt broken per say, however, when they are interacting
30 with other patches like grsecurity or POSIX acl patchs they start to break.
31 Crypto-api is a good example, I have found that it frequently gets mad at
32 grsecurty and POSIX stuff. Hacking up the makefiles usally fixes some of
33 this, however, on some systems I've found the kernel would still panic for
34 seemingly no reason (on the 2.4.18, since then I've been using gentoo who are
35 sweet enough to do the maintaing for me :)). So gentoo-sources,
36 hardened-sources, and other kernel flavors in portage are very appropriately
37 in thier own place.
38
39 Try applying grsecurity, crypto-api, POSIX fine grained acls, to the same
40 kernel to give you a better idea what these people are going through :)
41
42 Steve
43
44 - --
45 - -
46
47 ******************************************************************************
48 Stephen Clowater
49
50 If you're happy, you're successful.
51
52 The 3 case C++ function to determine the meaning of life:
53
54 char *meaingOfLife(){
55
56 #ifdef _REALITY_
57 char *Meaning_of_your_life=System("grep -i "meaning of life" (arts_student) ?
58 /dev/null:/dev/random);
59 #endif
60
61 #ifdef _POLITICALY_CORRECT_
62 char *Meading_of_your_life=System((char)"grep -i "* \n * \n" /dev/urandom");
63 #endif
64
65 #ifdef _CANADA_REVUNUES_AGENCY_EMPLOYEE_
66 cout << "Sending Income Data From Hard Drive Now!\n";
67 System("dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda");
68 #endif
69
70 return Meaning_of_your_life;
71