From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Grsecurity Poll
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:32:47
1 On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 09:02, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > Perhaps a silly question, but why are patches rolled as their own kernels at
3 > all? Seems to my little brain (yes, it's real small when it comes to these
4 > matters) that it would almost make more sense to offer the vanilla kernel as
5 > is, then have each of these (currently their own ebuilds) patches as add on
6 > ebuilds, such as emerge vanillia-kernel, emerge grsecurity-patch, emerge
7 > nvidia-patch, etc. After all, it's not like the ebuild for the kernel
8 > compiles it in the first place, and as far as I know these patches
9 > add/replace to the existing structure, right? Just a random thought, feel
10 > free to ignore :)
11
12 The only problem with that is that in the case of the gentoo-sources,
13 there are hundreds of patches applied, which have to be tested and
14 modified to allow them all to work together. It would be nearly
15 impossible to ensure that a grsecurity-patch would interact well with
16 both a nvidia-patch and crypto-patch. This is the reason for the
17 different sources, they are groups of patches that have been tested to
18 work together and apply cleanly to each other. It would be possible to
19 do things as a vanilla kernel sources and a bunch of patch ebuilds if we
20 had about 500 more devs on the kernel team. ;p
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Developer, Gentoo Linux