From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:32:25
1 On Tuesday 02 November 2004 23:40, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > You cut out my next line saying "Does portage use ${KV} internally?"
3 > which was also part of the point ;)
4
5 I cut it out because I don't know the answer. Either way I just did a quick
6 grep and don't see portage using it internally at all. If this is the case
7 (hoping a portage developer will confirm), how does this affect your view?
8
9 > Anyways, what I was trying to say was - if 729 ebuilds currently rely on
10 > knowing the version of the installed Linux kernel source I think this
11 > information should be available through portage itself, and not an
12 > eclass.
13
14 729 ebuilds is only a small fraction of our tree. A quick comparison to
15 eutils, which appears to be inherited in over 5000 ebuilds.
16 More stats: those 729 ebuilds fall in 110 packages, which makes up about 1.4%
17 of the number of packages of our tree. It would be a lot of work, but
18 wouldn't have to be done all at once (plus some of these already inherit
19 kernel-mod). Thoughts?
20
21 Daniel
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list