From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:39:29
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 16:00, Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > On Monday 01 November 2004 15:52, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
5 > > Hmmm... tough question. Currently 729 ebuilds in the portage tree uses
6 > > ${KV} and only 57 use ${KV_PATCH}. It seems that many ebuilds rely on
7 > > knowing the kernel version but not many rely on knowing the kernel
8 > > version in details.
9 >
10 > That isn't exactly the point here - portage does parse out all of those things
11 > in order to construct $KV anyway, so could very easily be extended to also
12 > provide $KV_MAJOR etc etc. Regardless of numbers, where do you feel is the
13 > better place for parsing the kernel version details?
14
15 You cut out my next line saying "Does portage use ${KV} internally?"
16 which was also part of the point ;)
17
18 Anyways, what I was trying to say was - if 729 ebuilds currently rely on
19 knowing the version of the installed Linux kernel source I think this
20 information should be available through portage itself, and not an
21 eclass.
22
23 > I'm in favour of the eclass, I don't think it makes sense for portage to find
24 > the version string on emerge of every package. And, in situations like this
25 > (with localversion appearing) its easier for us to extend the code to support
26 > it.
27
28 This is where the question above (does portage use ${KV} internally?)
29 becomes important. If portage uses ${KV} internally it can not be
30 supplied by an eclass.
31
32 Could one of the portage devs please shed some light on this?
33
34 Sincerely,
35 Brix
36 --