From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:16:51
1 On Monday 01 November 2004 15:52, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > Hmmm... tough question. Currently 729 ebuilds in the portage tree uses
3 > ${KV} and only 57 use ${KV_PATCH}. It seems that many ebuilds rely on
4 > knowing the kernel version but not many rely on knowing the kernel
5 > version in details.
6
7 That isn't exactly the point here - portage does parse out all of those things
8 in order to construct $KV anyway, so could very easily be extended to also
9 provide $KV_MAJOR etc etc. Regardless of numbers, where do you feel is the
10 better place for parsing the kernel version details?
11
12 I'm in favour of the eclass, I don't think it makes sense for portage to find
13 the version string on emerge of every package. And, in situations like this
14 (with localversion appearing) its easier for us to extend the code to support
15 it.
16
17 Daniel
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list