From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel-mod.eclass addition + clean up
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:34:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 23:54, Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > Sounds good, but you should check it with the cloop maintainer first. Also ask
5 > about the zlib stuff, according to grep, cloop is the only ebuild that uses
6 > it. I think we should move the zlib stuff into the cloop ebuild and take it
7 > out of the eclass.
8
9 Yes, I will of course contact the ebuild maintainer before doing massive
10 changes.
11
12 Removing the kernel-{info,mod}_checkzlibinflate_configured() function
13 from kernel-{info,mod} sounds good to me. Having such a specialized
14 option in an eclass doesn't really make sense (or does it? Please speak
15 up).
16
17 > Perhaps some comments around the _subdir_to_m function would be appropriate -
18 > but other than that, I don't think theres much we can do.
19
20 Ok - I'll add a descriptive comment before the various functions.
21
22 > Ok, how would you feel about removing the ${KV} stuff from portage.py and just
23 > making the ebuilds that currently use it convert to using kernel-info? Or, we
24 > could easily extend portage to set KV_MAJOR etc. But what I'm getting at is
25 > that we should only do this in one place - and where should it be? My view is
26 > that it should be done in the eclass.
27
28 Hmmm... tough question. Currently 729 ebuilds in the portage tree uses
29 ${KV} and only 57 use ${KV_PATCH}. It seems that many ebuilds rely on
30 knowing the kernel version but not many rely on knowing the kernel
31 version in details.
32
33 Does portage use ${KV} internally?
34