From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:35:12
1 Ok, so per the one discussion in #-dev this evening, I'm looking for
2 questions to put on a new user survey.
3
4 For style of questions, multiple choice (both pick-one and pick-many) or
5 simple integers would be best. However some freeform questions are
6 probably going to end up in there anyway. 'Prefer not to answer' and 'I
7 don't know' should be available in most questions.
8
9 I don't have the original questions on hand right now (but i'm trying to
10 get them), so used some classical census questions. Some of the ones I
11 threw in are just what came to mind, I'd love to hear more questions and
12 more sections.
13
14 In the style of census, maybe offering a short form and a long form
15 questionnaire would be useful too?
16
17 Basic demographics - a bunch of this should probably be optional but recommended
18 - Gender (M, F, and the various other forms here)
19 - Year of birth
20 - # of children??
21 - How many years have you been using computers?
22
23 Sociocultural information (again, optional stuff):
24 - Location (country, and free-form city)
25 - Level of education?
26 - Job? (type coding this one is hard, and I'd prefer not to have it)
27 - Income level
28
29 Computer-general questions:
30 - Do you program?
31 - Checkboxes for some programming languages
32
33 Usage of Gentoo:
35 - School
36 - Work
37 - Other
38
39 (usage spawns the following set of questions)
40
41 Home/School/Work/Other systems:
42 - # of server/desktop/laptop/embedded systems?
43 - Language of system
44 - What arches, stable/testing keywords?
45 - Time spent weekly administering your $TYPE systems
46 - Sync frequency
47 - Do you share your portage tree between systems
48 - Do you share your distfiles between systems
49 - Do you share your binpkgs between systems
50 - Window Manager
51 - Kernel
52 - System specs (maybe follow the Value surveys for some questions)
53 - Distro breakdowns (folks that don't have exclusively Gentoo systems)
54 - Ask about existence and usage of digital camera, web cam, media
55 player, printer, scanner etc with Gentoo (need a list, maybe see the
56 Linux Foundation survey)
57 (Work specific)
58 - How many other users of Gentoo does your organization have?
59 - Name of organization (coupled with the previous question to weed out
60 dupes)
61
62 Release-related questions:
63 - Should CD media be released at a different rate than stage tarballs?
64 - Desired release frequency for minimal/livecd/GRP/stages (annual,
65 bi-annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly?)
66 - Do you use the installer or install by hand? (need an other field here)
67 - How often do you use the media?
68 - How often do you install Gentoo (using the stage tarballs or the
69 installer)?
70 - Do you use GRP?
71 - Would you like to use GRP in future?
72 - Binhost questions maybe?
73 - Do you use the portage snapshot associated with the release or the
74 latest available snapshot or other?
75 - Do you use a Gentoo derivative? (give a list with an other option)
76
77 Portage-related questions:
78 (portage team, maybe you can help here?)
79
80 Distro-related questions (these two are from the original survey, but i
81 added more choices):
82 - Why choose Gentoo
83 - package manager
84 - package repository
85 - customization
86 - optimization
87 - community
88 - free as in beer
89 - free as in speech
90 - other (fill-in)
91 - Distro needs (with a justification text area)
92 - Installer progress
93 - Enterprise-level systems (slow-moving tree)
94 - Embedded linux systems
95 - More/less packages
96 - Hardware support
99 Robin Hugh Johnson
100 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
101 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
102 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85