From: Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Handbook
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:41:02
1 On 10/14/2016 03:12 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 10/14/2016 01:24 AM, Matthew Marchese wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> After _many_ essential and necessary years of service the Gentoo
6 >> Documentation Project (GDP) has fulfilled its purpose[1][2] and is in
7 >> the process of being phased out.
8 >>
9 >> As a platform, the wiki has enabled every Gentoo developer (not just
10 >> those in the Documentation team) and many in the community to maintain
11 >> Gentoo documentation. All the relevant "HOWTO" articles and other
12 >> articles produced by former GDP members (and other contributors) have
13 >> long since moved to publicly editable wiki namespace. These days the
14 >> community and every Gentoo developer should step up to the plate from
15 >> time-to-time and maintain the docs.
16 >>
17 >> There is very little that is currently "locked down" on the wiki. The
18 >> Handbook (and everything else in the Handbook namespace) is one
19 >> exception to what is publicly editable. Since it contains our official
20 >> and crucial installation instructions; it is a bit risky to put it
21 >> publicly editable namespace. This creates an inherent 'who's responsible
22 >> to keep it updated?' So, in order to clarify who will continue to assume
23 >> responsibility for the Gentoo Handbook, the Handbook project has been
24 >> newly formed as a sub-project of the Wiki project. Currently just SwifT
25 >> and me are in this new project, but anyone who's interested in
26 >> updating/maintaining the Handbook is welcome to join.
27 >>
28 >> Here are our current goals, short and sweet:
29 >>
30 >> 1. Actively modernize and maintain the official Gentoo Handbook
31 >> documentation in the Handbook: namespace.
32 >> 2. Handle 'marking' the Handbook for translation.
33 >> 3. Maintain the Handbook Development guide.
34 >>
35 >> Comments on these are welcome.
36 >>
37 >> Suggestions for Handbook updates or fixes can be left on each page's
38 >> discussion page. Among other areas of contribution, those who are a part
39 >> of this project will make it a priority to respond to these queries.
40 >>
41 >> I suspect next we'll need an e-mail address separate from the wiki's
42 >> mail address. Other than that we'll still all hang out in #gentoo-wiki
43 >> on Freenode and continue advancing Gentoo to a better place. Again,
44 >> comments are welcome.
45 >>
46 >> Kind regards,
47 >> Maffblaster
48 >>
49 >> [1]
50 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-doc/message/892f335a04fb7e372116ca3e6b2d0c84
51 >> [2]
52 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-doc/message/944b4b36ab3883c6b223a240feb42fb8
55 > Whatever structure that will allow wiki building to continue and reduce
56 > any possible confusion is a win in my book.
57 >
58 > Devs interested would need to then join the wiki project then, correct?
59 >
60 No. They'd only need to directly join the Handbook project.