From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 13:31:25
1 On 09/09/2015 03:17 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:37:49 +0200
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 09/09/2015 09:24 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> x11-misc/spacefm supports multiple toolkits as well.
8 >>
9 >> It shouldn't. Gtk3 is stable and gtk2 and gtk3 USE flags should be
10 >> removed to be consistent with the rest of the tree.
13 > to hell with stable, IMHO gtk3 is just crap and nearly destroys all
14 > usability, I have mostly gtk2, with some gtk3, and I'd love to nuke
15 > the rest of the gtk3 ones... So, if chromium goes gtk3, I'll be
16 > looking for a new browser. and if gentoo drops gtk2, I'll be looking
17 > for a new DE...
21 I haven't encountered a gtk app (I develop some myself) that has dropped
22 significant features in the process of migration to gtk3, but I
23 obviously don't use all of them.
24
25 IMO, there's pretty much no difference for the user, except that the
26 codepaths are better maintained.
27
28 You can have the exact same usability with gtk3 as with gtk2. That's
29 developer choice, not toolkit related. When upstream developers drop
30 features or even toolkit support, you don't want to ship legacy code to
31 the user.
32
33 So this is just a transition period anyway and we shouldn't confuse our
34 users with temporary USE flags that break consistency, unless that's
35 absolutely necessary.
36
37 Again: usability is not predefined in the toolkit. This is not about gnome3.