From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 21:19:27
1 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> posted 1241633816.25192.2.camel@localhost,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 06 May 2009 21:16:56 +0300:
3
4 > On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 17:25 +0000, Duncan wrote:
5 >> Christian Faulhammer posted:
6 >>
7 >> > recruiters do quite long IRC sessions with the applicant. Apart from
8 >> > questions not found in the quiz they want people to elaborate on
9 >> > answers they made.
10 >>
11 >> As others have occasionally noted, the assumption seems to be that
12 >> developers "do" IRC.
13 >
14 > Are you suggesting that recruiters should do long e-mail exchanges with
15 > the applicants instead, having no real time conversations, leading to no
16 > idea about the applicants real knowledge (when there is not much time to
17 > do research after a question is posed), attitude and so on?
18
19 Noting that mail turnaround can be seconds or minutes, particularly when
20 needed and arranged beforehand... like say an IRC session might be...
21
22 There's a saying that the mark of an expert isn't that he knows
23 everything, but that he knows where to look to find it when he needs it.
24
25 I'd suggest that applies here.
26
27 In the Gentoo development environment, what's so pressing that a few
28 hours' delay checking a reference to make sure something's done correctly
29 is a problem? If it's not a problem "on the job", why make it a problem
30 "for the interview"?
31
32 Basically, I'd argue there's no vital information obtainable by an IRC
33 interview that can't be obtained in an email exchange. There's
34 certainly /some/ additional information available in the instant format,
35 but I'd argue it isn't vital information given a longer view and a
36 history to work with, and in fact, that said additional information is
37 quite trivial.
38
39 I'd argue that real knowledge and attitude should easily be apparent by
40 the time of a serious interview, whether it's via IRC or mail, in any
41 case. As the developer's handbook points out, the first step in the
42 process is simply "helping out". What's the bug submission history?
43 Patches? Sunrise and/or project overlay and/or AT record? Whether on
44 the various devel and project lists or IRC channels, what has been the
45 candidate's attitude? Do they take well suggestions from others, yet are
46 able to take their own positions and defend them technically when
47 necessary? Are they able to discern when it's a big deal and when it's
48 not? When they screw up, do they apologize, then work to fix it
49 themselves, asking for help when needed, or are they either slacking off
50 waiting for someone else to fix their mess, or refusing offered and
51 needed (time-wise or technically) help?
52
53 Are you saying that history, generally of months if not years[1], is
54 easily faked, and that an IRC session is better at detecting such fakes
55 than an email exchange of approximate equal depth would be? If you are,
56 I must say I disagree. I just don't see it.
57
58 [1] There's a place for shorter term commitments, see the SoC, bugday,
59 simply pitching in with patches or testing, etc, but those aren't Gentoo
60 devhood.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman