From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 18:16:23
1 On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 17:25 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> posted
3 > 20090506083356.4a561ea2@g.o, excerpted below, on Wed, 06 May 2009
4 > 08:33:56 +0200:
5 >
6 > > Apart from growing into your job (that's what happened with me),
7 > > recruiters do quite long IRC sessions with the applicant. Apart from
8 > > questions not found in the quiz they want people to elaborate on answers
9 > > they made.
10 >
11 > As others have occasionally noted, the assumption seems to be that
12 > developers "do" IRC. While it's certainly a useful thing for those that
13 > do it, I believe I've seen a few developers speak up from time to time
14 > that say they do little if any IRC at all, doing their Gentoo comms via
15 > email (including the lists), bugs, and of course commits. Does the way
16 > remain open for such recruits? This subthread would suggest not, that
17 > IRC is now considered not just convenient or useful, but mandatory. I'd
18 > call that a shame, as it could well block otherwise productive potential
19 > devs.
20
21 Are you suggesting that recruiters should do long e-mail exchanges with
22 the applicants instead, having no real time conversations, leading to no
23 idea about the applicants real knowledge (when there is not much time to
24 do research after a question is posed), attitude and so on?
28 Mart Raudsepp
29 Gentoo Developer
30 Mail: leio@g.o
31 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio