From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:25:40
1 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> posted
2 20090506083356.4a561ea2@g.o, excerpted below, on Wed, 06 May 2009
3 08:33:56 +0200:
4
5 > Apart from growing into your job (that's what happened with me),
6 > recruiters do quite long IRC sessions with the applicant. Apart from
7 > questions not found in the quiz they want people to elaborate on answers
8 > they made.
9
10 As others have occasionally noted, the assumption seems to be that
11 developers "do" IRC. While it's certainly a useful thing for those that
12 do it, I believe I've seen a few developers speak up from time to time
13 that say they do little if any IRC at all, doing their Gentoo comms via
14 email (including the lists), bugs, and of course commits. Does the way
15 remain open for such recruits? This subthread would suggest not, that
16 IRC is now considered not just convenient or useful, but mandatory. I'd
17 call that a shame, as it could well block otherwise productive potential
18 devs.
19
20 If it's not assumed mandatory, perhaps a bit more care should be taken to
21 avoid creating that impression, thereby discouraging potentially valuable
22 recruits.
23
24 Maybe the world has moved on and email, etc, is now as impractical for
25 development as snail mail. If so, I suppose it has left us old fogies
26 behind, but somehow, I don't believe it's gone /that/ far yet, nor can I
27 believe it will in the intermediate term future, at least. If it were,
28 after all, this list should be near deserted. It's obviously not.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman