From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:26:12
1 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> posted
2 20080101060928.2a500186.genone@g.o, excerpted below, on Tue, 01
3 Jan 2008 06:09:28 +0100:
4
5 > Most of the time when I see complaints about the description of USE
6 > flags (I'm fully aware of those) the issue isn't the format, just that
7 > noone else has come up with a better description.
8
9 There are, I believe, two complaints, but one you don't see often as many
10 don't think it's currently possible with a global USE flag (and possible
11 but seldom done with local flags).
12
13 The first complaint is poor descriptions in general. "foo - Adds foo
14 support" just doesn't cut it. (See USE=glw, for instance. USE=gif's
15 "Adds GIF image support" is at least somewhat better, saying GIF is an
16 image format, at least. I haven't a clue what libGlw does, except that
17 it says requires mesa, which I know is 3D, so I suppose it's related to
18 that, but what if someone doesn't know what mesa is?) This seems to be
19 the one you are addressing.
20
21 The second complaint, a frustration I often find myself experiencing, is
22 that particularly with global flags, it's difficult to see exactly what
23 they do in a particular package without actually seeing what the ebuild
24 does. Does it add the dependency and link against it? Does it install
25 example code and/or documentation for it? Does it install bindings for
26 it? Is it build (static) against the included version vs using the
27 system copy? Does it not change what's supported at all, only the
28 library/codec implementation used to handle it (the case with mp3/lame/
29 whatever sometimes)? Etc.
30
31 It'd sure be nice to be able to run an euse -i flag and get the details
32 of what flag actually does for various packages, or euse -i flag package,
33 and get the info for just that package. It'd be /real/ nice if emerge
34 had a -vv or -vvv mode, that spit out what all the use flags actually did
35 for those packages, at the detail level of the questions above. If
36 whatever proposal makes that easier, I say go for it. =8^)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list