From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag documentation
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 05:11:10
1 On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:55:10 +0100
2 "Denis Dupeyron" <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Dec 31, 2007 3:30 PM, Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
5 > > What benefit does use.xml have over use.desc?
6 > [...]
7 > > No need to change the format of use.desc
8 >
9 > Anything that would enable us to document with more than a few words,
10 > which is what we're practically limited to with the current format of
11 > use.desc, would help. The currently available documentation on USE
12 > flags is clearly insufficient, maybe not for you and me and other
13 > devs, but for the majority of our users. Note that this is not the
14 > same as optionally adding more specific documentation on a global flag
15 > in the metadata.xml of a package.
16
17 Most of the time when I see complaints about the description of USE
18 flags (I'm fully aware of those) the issue isn't the format, just that
19 noone else has come up with a better description. And technically
20 use.desc isn't limited to "a few words", unless you want to add
21 multiple paragraphs with formatting, just the (current) presentation
22 would get a bit ugly with longer descriptions. Of course the format
23 could be changed if needed, but that needs a more specific description
24 about the requirements.
25
26 > > and get rid of the stupid separation of "local" and "global" flags
27 >
28 > Good idea. How do you plan to cope with the (currently) local USE flag
29 > conflicts though ?
30
31 You mean different descriptions? Just use a placeholder in use.desc
32 (like some global flags already have) and move the actual description
33 in metadata.xml if there isn't any common base.
34
35 Marius
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list