From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2017 01:38:17
1 On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:33 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 10:11:51 -0500
4 >> R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Then I'm quite confused as to why people seem to be extremely attentive to
7 >>> copyright infringement (besides an immediate payout). In the US they cite
8 >>> the reasoning I gave, from memory.
9 >>>
10 >>> Maybe that was for trademarks?
11 >>
12 >> This is one of those problems where the nebulous term "IP" has infected
13 >> our thinking.
14 >>
15 >> Yes, US is very *copyright* infringement zealous.
16 >>
17 >> But Trademark and Copyright are very different beasts.
18 >>
19 >> Trademarks (read: brands, company names, company symbols, etc) do
20 >> expire much shorter, but that's due to other reasons. Namely, that if
21 >> your company ceases to be doing business for 10 years, nobody is harmed
22 >> by people using a name of a company that doesn't exist, because
23 >> "Trademark protection" is largely a device to prevent competitors
24 >> claiming they're you, and to prevent competitors selling products
25 >> claiming you made them.
26 >>
27 >> Copyright (read: the right to publish, distribute, and sell) has a much
28 >> longer life as the results of that can be inheritable, eg: profits from
29 >> sale copyrighted works can go towards the estate of the author of those
30 >> works after the death of that author.
31 >>
32 >> There are documented *exceptions* to this, but they don't apply to us
33 >> as they apply to public institutions such as archives and libraries.
34 >>
35 >> And there are exceptions in cases of "fair use", which Gentoo does not
36 >> fall under.
37 >>
38 >> So, even though it is true that copyright expires, copy right expiry
39 >> dates are currently such that most juristictions don't have any
40 >> software that could conceivably exist that expires.
41 >>
42 >> If the expiry period is 50 years, and there's no software in
43 >> circulation older than 30, its kindof a moot point to argue software
44 >> that is less than 10 years old might have expired.
47 > There's nothing in this though that says a copyright couldn't be
48 > weakened by failure to enforce claims against infringers. However, it
49 > happens that copyright law allows selective enforcement.
50 >
51 >>> >> Sir, please see my above comment about building ballistic missiles.
52 >>> >> It may be important for the Gentoo Foundation to add a disclaimer
53 >>> >> similar to the one I mentioned. I would hate for the Foundation or
54 >>> >> any of its administrators or contributors to be found guilty of
55 >>> >> aiding and abetting terrorists.
56 >>> >
57 >>> > Yeah. Stop trolling, please.
58 >>> >
59 >>>
60 >>> I am being completely serious. You can find such a clause in the iTunes
61 >>> license.
62 >>>
63 >>> If it seems ridiculous please reconsider the subject in question.
64 >>
65 >> I'm not sure how enforceable that clause is as a License.
66 >>
67 >> As a Warranty, sure.
70 > The point isn't to be practically enforceable. If someone put their
71 > mind to using iTunes to make an ICBM I'm sure no one could stop them.
72 > The point is that Apple has now disclaimed liability for terrorist
73 > acts associated with iTunes in a very legally important way, which I
74 > believe is related to export restrictions (the item of interest likely
75 > being the cryptography portions of the digital restrictions management
76 > code).
77 >
78 >> "if you use it for this, don't blame us if bad things happen, we told
79 >> you not to"
82 > There's a myriad of laws that duplicate the intent of the basic laws
83 > against property damage and taking life.
86 My apologies. In my dimwittedness I forgot to finish this section.
87
88 There's a lot of overlapping laws that duplicate things already in
89 existence. Likewise, people keep attempting to disclaim whatever
90 liability the law tells them they have in shrinkwrap contracts.
91
92 A good example is Li-Ion batteries. Did you know you're supposed to
93 watch them and not let them out of your sight while charging? If you
94 leave them out of your sight or do not take additional precautions
95 that no reasonable person I know would take, then the manufacturer
96 claims they are not responsible for property damage (read: fires) due
97 to their product's defects.
98
99 However, in fairly recent memory, the fires cause by Samsung phones
100 were being blamed on Samsung, and other smaller suits have been won
101 against battery manufacturers.
102
103 >> Also, those are typically things that fall under "National Laws" and it
104 >> doesn't really make sense to have to explicitly articulate in a
105 >> software license that its intended use is to be done within the scope
106 >> of your local governing laws.
107 >>
108 >> You're bound to follow local law regardless of whether you accept or
109 >> reject a given license. So, its kinda moot.
112 > It is my understanding that this realization supports the view that
113 > the link should be left in. It's up to the user of the software, radio
114 > broadcasting kit, car, etc, to use the item in a responsible manner.
115 >
116 > I am worried about ceding rights where it is not necessary to do so. A
117 > good analogue to the situation at hand is crowdfunded electronics
118 > projects that try to be FCC compliant, or delay shipping to obtain FCC
119 > compliance. They don't need to. They're almost always a product not
120 > intended for end users or an incomplete product. This makes me afraid,
121 > sir, because it may be the case in the future I can not produce any
122 > electronic equipment on my own.
123 >
124 > Likewise, being unable to tell someone where to download something is
125 > another situation that makes me afraid.
126 >
127 >> If your government goes and uses your software for military
128 >> applications despite your license saying "don't", I'm not really sure
129 >> you'll have much in the way of recourse.
132 > I'm pretty sure it would be one of the rare times, at least in the US,
133 > that the government does not have sovereign immunity.
134 >
135 >> If it was that simple I'd just start putting license terms that
136 >> prohibits people from using software I wrote as part of a state
137 >> approved mass surveillance platform....
140 > If you did this the military would abide by your license. They'd just
141 > hire someone else to write the software in your stead.
142 >
143 > Personally, sir, I am glad that mass surveillance is happening. My
144 > government tells me it is a good thing and that it protects me. My
145 > government is made of good, hardworking, honest people. I have
146 > conversed with some Gentoo users who have said that I should suspect
147 > my government but I am not sure how to do that. In any case, the mass
148 > surveillance programs are under the control of the military. The
149 > military typically respects the law, and I would not mind it if they
150 > used something that I had created. I would be proud that I was able to
151 > help my country by helping the people who protect it.
154 > On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Ciaran McCreesh