From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:03:48
1 On Sunday 04 July 2004 6:16 pm, Barry Shaw wrote:
2 > We've got about 250 machines currently gentooed,
3 > with more to come, so we might be able to offer some insights into large
4 > scale installations.
5
6 Very nice. Yes, I would love to know more about how you're using Gentoo
7 commercially.
8
9 In the past, I've done some production installs of FreeBSD with success,
10 but not w/Linux yet. A Gentoo deployment should be more controllable, in
11 my estimation, than FreeBSD, but there's a lot of work to be done on both
12 to make them more sane for commercial environments. IMO, the first
13 priority is just minimizing the rate/amt of change. That's half the
14 battle. IT folks can't be burdened with the minutae of researching &
15 testing lots of tiny little package updates.
16
17 The "don't rsync" solution is a kludge... we need something a tad more
18 thoughtful, functional than that. :-)
19
20 If you don't mind my asking, how many of your Gentoo machines are
21 workstations? Servers? What kind of work is done on these machines?
22
23 Cheers,
24 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
25 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F