From: Barry Shaw <baz@×××××××××××××××.nz>
To: absinthe@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:19:11
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dylan Carlson wrote:
5 | On Sunday 04 July 2004 6:16 pm, Barry Shaw wrote:
6 |
7 |>We've got about 250 machines currently gentooed,
8 |>with more to come, so we might be able to offer some insights into large
9 |>scale installations.
10 |
11 |
12 | Very nice. Yes, I would love to know more about how you're using Gentoo
13 | commercially.
14 |
15
16 Well we're a university, so we aren't commercial as such 8). All of the
17 machines are being installed via a custom script and a binary repository
18 that is used as a canonical source of packages. Additions and removals
19 are performed automatically each night on the clients. We've documented
20 the install process at http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~baz and the
21 scripts are available there also. The nightly maintenance process and
22 scripts aren't yet published but its in the works. If you want a more
23 detailed description let me know and I can send you something offlist
24 (I'm not really sure this list is the right place for this kind of thing).
25
26 | In the past, I've done some production installs of FreeBSD with success,
27 | but not w/Linux yet. A Gentoo deployment should be more
28 controllable, in
29 | my estimation, than FreeBSD, but there's a lot of work to be done on both
30 | to make them more sane for commercial environments. IMO, the first
31 | priority is just minimizing the rate/amt of change. That's half the
32 | battle. IT folks can't be burdened with the minutae of researching &
33 | testing lots of tiny little package updates.
34 |
35 | The "don't rsync" solution is a kludge... we need something a tad more
36 | thoughtful, functional than that. :-)
37 |
38
39 Definitely, thats where I see a stable portage tree as being very useful.
40
41 | If you don't mind my asking, how many of your Gentoo machines are
42 | workstations? Servers? What kind of work is done on these machines?
43 |
44
45 Most of them are workstations, both lab machines and staff and graduate
46 desktops (they are all maintained in a similar fashion). We've only got
47 a few gentoo servers, mainly since we only started using gentoo here
48 less than 6 months ago and we're only upgrading the servers as they are
49 replaced (if it aint broke.....).
50
51 Baz
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list