From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:23:16
1 On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:17:57 +0000
2 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 > > PN and PV are metadata, same as EAPI.
4 >
5 > So we made a mistake with PN and PV and may compound it with EAPI.
6 > How long before we *must* have other pieces of information in the
7 > filename?
8
9 Uh, never.
10
11 > When will the filename get so long as to become unwhieldy ?
12
13 Uh, never.
14
15 > Lets fix it properly now since it will be much more painful to put an
16 > extendable solution in place later.
17
18 55 is the fix.
19
20 > It reminds me of other hacks in the history of the PC which we would
21 > do well not to repeat.
22 > e.g. the MSDOS Partition Table, the Extended Partition, the High
23 > Memory Area.
24
25 Except that once we have EAPI in the file extension, we can change
26 anything we want in arbitrary ways without having to worry about
27 backwards compatibility, so we won't need silly hacks.
30 Ciaran McCreesh