From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:35:26
1 On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 01:11:30 +0300
2 Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 29 July 2015 at 23:20, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > All,
7 > >
8 > > so that there is a better idea out there of what I'm talking about,
9 > > the OpenRC github repository now has a mount-service branch.
10 >
11 > Nice!
12 >
13 > But I still trying to figure out why do we need to keep fstab around.
14 > It is pure legacy.
17 On what planet is fstab pure legacy? Many utilities use it and expect it
18 to exist. For example the ability to do "mount /foo" requires a properly
19 configured fstab file (also mount -a).
20
21 AFAIK even systemd needs a fstab file if you want to do anything that
22 it can't autodetect by probing the system.
23
24 > There can be a migration script to generate /etc/conf.d/*
25 > configuration once, but there is no need to keep it around.
26 > The conf.d can contain everything that fstab contains.
27 >
28 > mount_mountpoint_\${NAME}=
29 > mount_type_\${NAME}=
30 > mount_fs_\${NAME}=
31 > mount_opts_\${NAME}=
32 > mount_dump_\${NAME}=
33 > mount_pass_\${NAME}=
36 That's a mighty verbose format, especially compared to fstab. I don't
37 think we should force people to move away from fstab because we have a
38 new and shiny service system.
39
40 Also if you are trying to get rid of "legacy" stuff, why on earth are
41 you keeping dump and pass around? Both of those are certainly not
42 needed if you are doing everything via services.