From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP updates
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:58:23
1 Brian Harring wrote: [Mon Sep 04 2006, 01:04:21AM CDT]
2 > > 33 (eclass restructuring)
3 >
4 > You left out the char indicating your intention here; 33 likely will
5 > have to be revisited in light of original intentions for it and how
6 > paludis has implemented their equiv (and no, that's not a potshot).
7 >
8 > 33 is bound to an EAPI bump most likely anyways, so probably will be
9 > revisited when someone pushes a EAPI=1 glep (few months for me I'd
10 > expect).
11
12 Thanks, that's a big help. It's "M" for now, w/ a note that future
13 revisions are expected.
14
15 > > 37 (virtuals deprecation) --> F? (Isn't this already implemented?)
16 > No, actually;
17 > A) no package.prefer
18 > B) (bad jason), the consistancy section, it actually was a req of the
19 > metapkg conversion that portages resolver go either -D by default, or
20 > metapkgs be marked in some fashion so that portage knows to always go
21 > one level deeper when encountering a metapkg.
22
23 37 is now marked "d" since reality and the GLEP seem to have diverged.
24
25 > > 49 (alt package manager 1) --> R (by council; sane API preferred)
26 > > 50 (alt package manager 2) --> R (by council; sane API preferred)
27 >
28 > Might want to clarify the "sane API preferred" bit.
29
30 Sorry, I should have been more precise. The council rejected both
31 GLEPs in favor of starting with a Gentoo package manager API (which
32 spb is slowly assembling), and then requiring in-tree package
33 managers to implement that API. Or at least that was my understanding
34 of that meeting.
35
36 Thanks!
37 -g2boojum-
38 --
39 Grant Goodyear
40 Gentoo Developer
41 g2boojum@g.o
42 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
43 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76