From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: OpenRC network provides revisited
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 19:59:30
1 On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 01:50:14PM -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 12:10 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > The second question this bug brings up is whether services should "need"
4 > > or "use" net. Remember that the "need" dependency will try to run the
5 > > needed service even if it is in init.d but not in a runlevel.
6 >
7 > Presumably that depends on the service. If a daemon can deal with
8 > network interfaces going up and down, then "use net" of course makes
9 > more sense.
10
11 This user is running with pre-configured interfaces (root is nfs
12 mounted). The network interface configuration should not be touched by
13 openrc.
14
15 If you look at his logs, one issue is that the "network" service is
16 starting even though it isn't in a runlevel. I have made changes in git
17 master so this will not be installed if you do not use the "newnet" use
18 flag.
19
20 When network interfaces are pre-configured, our network scripts
21 shouldn't run at all, but they can be forced to run if other services
22 have "need net" in their dependencies.
23
24 So my question is, should we change our services to "use net" instead of
25 "need net"?
26
27 William